IBM Watson Health™ business provides market-leading performance improvement solutions built on data integrity, advanced analytics and domain expertise. For more than 40 years, our insights and solutions have been providing hospitals and clinicians, employers and health plans, state and federal government agencies, and life sciences companies and policymakers, the facts they need to make confident decisions that directly affect the health and well-being of people and organizations in the US and around the world. Watson Health aspires to improve lives and give hope by delivering innovation to address the world’s most pressing health challenges through data and cognitive insights.
In this position, you will be utilizing healthcare knowledge to consult directly with clients and internal account teams on projects that span: database design, data standardization, data feed implementation, data quality review trending and more. What is a Data Manager responsible for?
What skills does a Data Manager need to be successful?
- Work closely with data suppliers to understand data sets, account for nuances, work with other teams to setup connectivity for the data exchange and account for the data coming in on a scheduled timeline.
- Use programming tools to translate incoming data into industry standard data sets for database usage (ETL)
- Perform data quality checks to ensure data meets thresholds and investigate/research when data fails trends or variance
- Independently manage assigned book of business, communicate project status internally/externally, estimate projected labor hours per project and create milestone project plans
- Utilize problem solving ability to find solution or response for questionable data
- Translate technical specifications for various audiences in various forms of communication
Why should you work for IBM?
- Ability to consult with client through exceptional communication skills and strong problem-solving ability
- An aptitude for learning new programming languages, familiarity with SQL or ETL is a bonus
- Foundational knowledge of relational database design
- Curiosity with a drive to find solutions to challenging problems
- Healthcare data exposure and understanding of the healthcare claims adjudication system
- Ability to lead and implement healthcare data sets using standard processes
- Desire to learn new skills and find creative ways to implement within data management work
- Innovative with a fresh look at old processes and present solutions to leadership
- Coachable and receptive to feedback
- Possesses emotional intelligence traits, such as empathy, collaboration, communication, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree with a focus on areas such as Information Systems, Computer Science, Mathematics/Statistics or Healthcare (or equivalent experience)
- Prefer 2+ years of experience working with healthcare claims and/or programming and database management
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Opportunity to impact the future of health care
- Career growth investment with the support of continuing education and badges through Acclaim
- Diverse and inclusive organization
- Endless opportunities to grow new skills
- Work variety that changes regularly and gets you thinking
- Collaborative team environment
- Peer support from day one - you will have the best peer group around!
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- 2 years of related experience working on projects involving database design and construction (i.e. SQL, XL), data quality assessment and healthcare analysis.
- 4 years of related experience working on projects involving database design and construction (i.e. SQL, XL), data quality assessment and healthcare analysis.
- Bachelors (Computer Science, MIS or related field) or equivalent experience preferred.
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.