Requisition ID # 17260
Job Category : Maintenance / Construction / Operations
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Operations
Job Location : Yuba City
Based in San Francisco, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States. And we deliver some of the nation's cleanest energy to our customers in Northern and Central California. For PG&E, Together, Building a Better California is not just a slogan. It's the very core of our mission and the scale by which we measure our success. We know that the nearly 16 million people who do business with our company count on our more than 24,000 employees for far more than the delivery of utility services. They, along with every citizen of the state we call home, also expect PG&E to help improve their quality of life, the economic vitality of their communities, and the prospect for a better future fueled by clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability status, medical condition, protected veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the job.
The men and women of Electric Operations ensure the delivery of safe and reliable electric service to our customers. Electric Operations is responsible for every aspect of PG&E's electric distribution and transmission operations, including planning, engineering, maintenance and construction, asset management, business planning, restoration and emergency response.
This is an IBEW Local 1245 represented classification, which has over 100 years of experience representing employees at PG&E. This job is subject to collective bargaining. We are looking for an energetic and career oriented individual to join our Tower Department. The Towerman is responsible for performing the maintenance and construction of transmission structures company-wide. Erects, inspects, repairs and removes transmission structures and foundations.
Work is predominantly outdoors and in all weather conditions. The individual must be able to drive safely, work extended hours, and wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment. This position requires a 5-year commitment to the Tower Department per LOA 07-033.
The position is a General Construction position and individuals must be able to travel and transfer to a new headquarters upon request at any time; throughout the entire PG&E service territory with no guarantees as to how long you will be away from home.
- Reviews work assignments, changes assignments as needed, and prioritizes the work daily. Checks for proper equipment and supplies.
- Drives Company construction trucks to designated job sites. Drives trucks offsite to obtain tools and/or supplies.
- Loads and unloads tools, supplies, equipment and materials needed for each jobsite. Positions and connects rigging needed to lift materials. Lays out tools, materials and equipment in staging areas. Removes obstructions using chain saws, weed whackers and removal equipment.
- Digs exploratory holes with shovel to determine if there are obstructions.
- Installs foundations for transmission structures by building and setting forms, tying and placing rebar, mixing and pouring concrete. Works in shielded holes when hand digging is required. Assembles, removes and/or erects transmission structures. Requires the use of hand and power tools, climbing, working at heights, aerial lifting, and working in proximity of energized lines. Could include helicopter and water craft transport to access transmission towers.
- Troubleshoots problems and determines extent of repairs. Replaces and/or repairs damaged sections of structures. Modifies structures per engineering requirements. Raises towers for line clearance issues. Removal of tower structures. Work includes use of hand and power tools, climbing, digging, and working in trenches for foundation modifications.
- Operates hydraulic equipment as in bolt tighteners and hole punch. Operates compress-driven equipment such as jackhammers, T-hammers.
- Communicates face-to-face, by phone and/or radio with supervisor, foreman and crewmembers for safety concerns and job issues. Communicates scope changes and work assignments with assigned crew.
- Work safely always as defined by PG&E’s safety standards and procedures
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess a High School diploma, GED or equivalent work experience
- Ability to work in all types of weather extremes
- Ability to drive in all weather and road conditions
- Ability to work flexible schedules, extended hours, nights, weekends, holidays, and/or overtime (scheduled or ad hoc)
- Ability to travel and transfer to a new headquarter upon request at any time; throughout the entire PG&E service territory with no guarantees as to how long you will be away from home
- Ability to work at varying levels of heights
- Able to work near/around helicopters
- Comfortable working at height above 100 feet
- Must be able to wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Must be able to wear a respirator
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds a minimum of one time a day
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class C California Driver's License or equivalent
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class A California Driver's License Permit within 3 months of hire or equivalent
- Must qualify and complete the Towerman Knowledge and Skills Assessment for Qualified Electrical Person (QEP)
- Internal: Must have qualified on the Physical Test Battery (PTB) and Work Orientation Inventory (WOI) exam prior to applying
- External and Hiring Hall Candidates: Must qualify on the Physical Test Battery (PTB) and Work Orientation Inventory (WOI) exam prior to interviewing
- Experience with basic hand and power tools used in the construction industry.
- Graduate of Power Pathway Program
- Construction/Field experience in the Military
- Climbing experience
- Relevant PG&E Experience
- Hiring Hall experience
- To better represent the communities, we serve within a timely manner, applicants who live within 50 miles of the headquarters will be given additional consideration