Special Assistant, Bureau of the Public Health Laboratory/Microbiology - 346161
Hiring Rate: $59,708.00 (Flat Rate)
The mission of the Public Health Laboratory is to safeguard the health of all New York City residents by providing quality laboratory testing services that address the needs of the NYC DOHMH and its community partners to prevent and respond to clinical and environmental public health concerns. This is an excellent opportunity to join our team and continue to make history at the world's first municipal public health laboratory. The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (NYC DOHMH), Public Health Laboratory is seeking to hire a qualified City Research Scientist I (CRS I) to work as Special Assistant to the Assistant Commissioner.
DUTIES WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
--Assist with developing and monitoring progress in achieving Bureau's priorities, advise Assistant Commissioner of progress and barriers to achieving priorities and develop solutions to overcome those barriers.
--Assist with designing studies to answer high priority policy and program questions.
--Assist with analyzing and interpreting data for special studies, write and edit manuscripts, reports and other relevant documents.
--Respond to requests from within and outside the Bureau for planning-related data and input to Bureau level reports.
--Monitor grant opportunities and coordinate submission of proposals to address Bureau's priorities.
--Assists in the planning, development, and implementation of special projects with the Bureau, including convening meetings.
--Develop and monitor plans, and report on progress, attend local, state and federal conferences and other meetings relevant to advancing Bureau's objective.
--Participate in emergency response activities relating to the Bureau, including producing data analysis reports for Bureau and Division leadership.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. For Assignment Level I (only physical, biological and environmental sciences and public health) A master's degree from an accredited college or university with a specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological or environmental science or in public health.
To be appointed to Assignment Level II and above, candidates must have:
1. A doctorate degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and one year of full-time experience in a responsible supervisory, administrative or research capacity in the appropriate field of specialization; or
2. A master's degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and three years of responsible full-time research experience in the appropriate field of specialization; or
3. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must have at least a master's degree in an appropriate field of specialization and at least two years of experience described in "2" above. Two years as a City Research Scientist Level I can be substituted for the experience required in "1" and "2" above.
Appointments to this position are subject to a minimum probationary period of one year.
Excellent interpersonal, written and communication skills
Excellent computer skills in MS Word, Excel, SPSS and SAS
Excellent research and analytical skills
Experience with large datasets
Ability to travel citywide.
**IMPORTANT NOTES TO ALL CANDIDATES:
Please note: If you are called for an interview you will be required to bring to your interview copies of original documentation, such as:
• A document that establishes identity for employment eligibility, such as: A Valid U.S. Passport, Permanent Resident Card/Green Card, or Driver’s license.
• Proof of Education according to the education requirements of the civil service title.
• Current Resume
• Proof of Address/NYC Residency dated within the last 60 days, such as: Recent Utility Bill (i.e. Telephone, Cable, Mobile Phone)
Additional documentation may be required to evaluate your qualification as outlined in this posting’s “Minimum Qualification Requirements” section. Examples of additional documentation may be, but not limited to: college transcript, experience verification or professional trade licenses.
If after your interview you are the selected candidate you will be contacted to schedule an on-boarding appointment. By the time of this appointment you will be asked to produce the originals of the above documents along with your original Social Security card.
The federal government provides student loan forgiveness through its Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF) to all qualifying public service employees. Working with the DOHMH qualifies you as a public service employee and you may be able to take advantage of this program while working full-time and meeting the program’s other requirements.
Please visit the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program site to view the eligibility requirements:
Apply online with a cover letter to https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/. In the Job ID search bar, enter: job ID number # 346161.
We appreciate the interest and thank all applicants who apply, but only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
The NYC Health Department is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and culturally responsive workforce. We strongly encourage people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender and gender non-conforming persons to apply.
All applicants will be considered without regard to actual or perceived race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, marital or parental status, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, age, prior record of arrest; or any other basis prohibited by law.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.