Bachelor’s Degree Finance, Accounting or related field combined with healthcare experience is required.
Experience in healthcare to have developed extensive knowledge in the proper application, compliance and treatment of health care operational activities, Medicare and Medi-Cal Laws and Regulations governing facility entitlements under Title XVIII and Title XXII as is typically obtained in 5-7 years. In addition, experience required for this position includes the following:
• Demonstrated ability to read, research, interpret and implement government laws and regulations and changes thereof.
• Must have demonstrated experience in the preparation and completion of Medicare and Medi-Cal Cost Reports.
• Must have the ability to coordinate and work with Medicare and Medi-Cal Auditors, as well as be knowledgeable in both Medicare and Medi-Cal audit and appeal processes.
• Must have demonstrated experience in preparing Medicare and Medi-Cal audit appeals position papers and documentation that meets all requirements as stipulated by Medicare and Medi-Cal regulations governing the Appeal Procedures.
• Must have directed the preparation of the annual Medicare and Medi-Cal cost report, and the California Annual Hospital Financial Disclosure Report (OSHPD)
• Must be knowledgeable and have performed and/or developed calculations of contractual allowance amounts recorded in the Hospital’s general ledger.
• Must be knowledgeable and thoroughly understand the various Medicare and Medi-Cal cost reporting and compliance requirements.
• Must be knowledgeable in both old and current Medicare and Medi-Cal Laws and regulations governing reimbursement related to Acute Hospitals, Psychiatric Hospitals, Rehabilitation Unit, Skilled Nursing Facilities, Rural Health Clinics, Inpatient and Outpatient pay system, Medi-Cal payment system and regulations under Title XXII.
• Must be knowledgeable and understand the California Annual Hospital financial Disclosure reporting process and requirements.
• Must have thorough knowledge of the hospital accounting system, audit processes, workpapers presentation, computer skills, and automated Medicare/Medi-Cal cost report software.
• Must be knowledgeable in the use of personal computer and its applications, such as: spreadsheet, word-processing, and cost reporting software application.
• Must be proficient and know how to write brief and concise reports.
• Must be knowledgeable in creating and developing workpapers with supporting documents to establish audit trails to support cost report data.
• Must know and understand how to apply statistical methods.
• Must be able to perform and complete work assignments effectively and accurately with very minimal direction and supervision.
• Must have excellent organizational, analytical and planning skills.
• Must have demonstrated leadership, adult training and education skills.
• Must have ability to determine reasonableness of data acquired from various sources.
• Must have excellent written, verbal and interpersonal and presentation skills.
• Must be able to work with all levels of management and translate complex rules and regulation issues, requirements to non-reimbursement staff at the facility level.
• Must have the ability to constantly maintain a professional working relationship with various personnel during difficult situations.
• Must possess the skill to negotiate and persuade when needed.
• Must have the ability to handle shifting priorities and multiple projects independently and simultaneously.
• Must be able to work independently with very minimum supervision.
• Must have the ability to read and interpret government regulations.
• Must have the ability to work on various assignments (example: 3-5 hospital cost reports at one time) and adhere to critical deadlines.
• Must be knowledgeable and proficient in the use of Personal Computers, spreadsheets and word-processing software, and cost report software
• Must have a valid California Drivers License.
• Must be able to sit and work at a computer for extended periods of time (5-8 hours daily).
• Must be able to travel throughout Northern California with some overnight stays out of town.
• Must be able to adapt and work in areas while working on-site at the facility.
• Must be able to lift weights (5-30 lbs.) to carry workpapers files, retrieve various documents.