Requisition ID # 14247
Job Category : Business Operations / Strategy
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Operations
Job Location : Clovis; West Sacramento
Based in San Francisco, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States.And we deliver some of the nation's cleanest energy to our customers in Northern and Central California. For PG&E, Together, Building a Better California is not just a slogan.It's the very core of our mission and the scale by which we measure our success. We know that the nearly 16 million people who do business with our company count on our more than 24,000 employees for far more than the delivery of utility services.They, along with every citizen of the state we call home, also expect PG&E to help improve their quality of life, the economic vitality of their communities, and the prospect for a better future fueled by clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability status, medical condition, protected veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic informationor any other factor that is not related to the job.
The men and women of Electric Operations ensure the delivery of safe and reliable electric service to our customers. Electric Operations is responsible for every aspect of PG&E's electric distribution and transmission operations, including planning, engineering, maintenance and construction, asset management, business planning, restoration and emergency response.
This journey level Project Controls Analyst position provides support to Project Managers on Electric Distribution projects with minimal guidance of the Project Manager/PCA Supervisor. If assigned, may perform functions in the Project Support Function; the Central Data Management Function; and/or the Central Financial Analysis Functions. Travel to/from various project-related function is required approximately 40% of the time with employee headquarters in either Clovis or West Sacramento.
This job is represented by Engineers and Scientists of California (ESC) and is subject to collective bargaining.
Schedule Development and Analysis:
- In coordination with Project Manager develop project schedule and cash flow/forecast plans with functional department input.
- Attend Project and Job kickoff and walk down meetings.
- Create, maintain and update schedules.
- Document, monitor and communicate project milestones and risks with appropriate stakeholders.
- Participate in project status meetings, collect progress data and revise project plan as needed.
- Monitor financial progress and maintain Project Manager’s order group. Develop, maintain and control project schedule plans using appropriate software (for ex: SAP Project System, SAP Work Management System, and Primavera P6, Clarity).
Cost Plan Development and Analysis:
- Use the cost and schedule plan to determine if project objectives are achievable.
- Create, maintain, and update monthly forecast budgets.
- Prepare various cost reports and maintain forecast accuracy. Prepare project performance analysis, cost, and schedule status reports. Identify cost and schedule variances from objectives and recommend corrective action.
- Assess and report on project performance using established industry standards.
- Ensure that responses to project budget, S1, S2, and GRC or FERC cost requests reflect accurate and current project cost information and stakeholders are in concurrence.
- Provide regular communication on project cost, schedule and risk status to project team members, stakeholders and public.
- Interface with design and planning resources and software systems.
- Review and assist in the preparation of Advance Authorizations, Job Estimates and Re-Authorizations and assist PM in routing for approval.
- Prepare journal entries and coordinate or process goods receipts in current software system.
- Ensure that responses to budget and cost requests reflect correct project cost information and stakeholders are in concurrence.
- Input data into various programs and prepare various cost and forecasting reports.
Project Documentation & Reporting:
- Verify that project cost and schedule milestones were/were not attained and provide input to identify future process or business improvements and work with responsible parties to implement.
- Manage orders from inception through completion and all required documentation is entered in current software system (Ex: EDMS, Clarity).
- Resolve all open items, ensure compliance requirements are met and settlement rules are entered, and close out order.
- Maintain scope change, contingency release, change order, and journal entry logs.
- Maintain written and electronic project documentation and records for required aspects of the project: Maintain project files in accordance with established guidelines and requirements (Ex: utilizing the electronic document management system or EDMS).
- Document change order requests, project status, key issues, risks and resolution, priority changes and approvals.
- Provide Project Manager with monthly report of project costs and/or schedule information including variance analysis according to an agreed upon level of detail and prioritization.
- Provide Project Team members with current status report containing schedule and cost information. Comply with Utility Operations Policies, Standards and Guidelines.
- Assist PM with Post Job Critique.
Central Data Management Functions
Quality and Analysis
- Prepare various monthly and weekly project management reports and report performance reports to management group including scorecards.
- Ensure quality of reports for the department, to report out to stakeholders.
- Validate weekly and monthly data sets.
- May provide support to project manager(s) as necessary
- Fulfill ad-hoc requests for cost-related data and analysis.
- Participate on (or lead) various process improvement initiatives, within Project Management.
Central Financial Analysis Functions
Project Budget & Cycle Forecast Monitoring/Reporting
- Prepare various monthly and weekly project performance reports - budget and cycle forecast reports; and finance status reports, utilizing the financial tracking software (e.g. SAP/BW system and EPM).
- Coordinate and work with all stakeholders, on creating new reports, that best measure and support good business decisions, to meet the Year End Annual Budget target.
- Coordinate and summarize project cycle forecast variance explanations for the department, to report out to stakeholders.
- Ensure that all responses to budget, quarterly cycle requests reflect accurate and current project cost information and stakeholders are in concurrence.
- Post and update all the project performance; budget and cycle forecast; and status reports on the Project Management website.
Financial and Performance Management
- Monitor, analyze and report out on the Department’s Forecasting Performance, with weekly performance reports, utilizing the financial tracking tools (e.g. SAP/BW).
- Analyze financial results on a monthly basis, providing explanations of significant cost drivers to PM Leadership – reports such as the Green-Red Scorecard and Lessons Learned Reports.
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience
- Experience in electric or gas transmission or distribution business operations area, business planning, accounting, finance, construction management or project management, at PG&E, 1 year
- Must include minimum 2 years experience in an electric or gas transmission and/or distribution business operations area, business planning, accounting, finance, construction management and/or project management, if hired externally
- Experience with appropriate software tools, currently SAP Work Management, Controlling Orders, Planning Orders, and BW
- Competency in providing direction, delegating, and removing obstacles to get work done
- Competency in interpreting and applying understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions
- Competency in making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems
- Knowledge of mathematics - for example algebra, geometry, trigonometry - as needed to perform at the job level
- Ability to apply project management theories, concepts, methods, best practices, and techniques as needed to perform at the job level
- Knowledge of project management tools - for example Primavera, PGE work scheduling and management - as needed to perform at the job level
- Proficiency in EXCEL, ACCESS and MS Project, Primavera P6
- Project Management, Project Controls, or Construction Management experience
- Risk Management and Earned Value Analysis experience
- Accounting/budgeting knowledge
- Forecasting skills
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) or Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification
- Willing to travel