Outbreak Data Analyst, Bureau of the Public Health Laboratory/Environmental Science - 331185
The mission of the Public Health Laboratory is to safeguard the health of all New York City residents by providing quality laboratory testing services that address the needs of the NYC DOHMH and its community partners to prevent and respond to clinical and environmental public health concerns. This is an excellent opportunity to join our team and continue to make history at the world's first municipal public health laboratory. The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (NYC DOHMH) Public Health Laboratory (PHL) is seeking to hire a qualified City Research Scientist II.
DUTIES WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
--Conduct scientific research projects and data analysis efforts using laboratory test results to monitor testing performance, volume and confirmed cases.
--Runs queries, generates reports, and develops analysis programs related to lab testing performance, volume and confirmed cases using SAS, SPSS, R, or other data analysis packages.
--Perform molecular typing and Whole Genome Sequencing on legionella isolates associated with routine investigations and public health emergencies.
--Rule out or confirm the identification of biothreat agents that can be isolates from food, including those suspected from Select Agents Tier-1 List, and participates in proficiency testing programs.
--Trained to perform BSL3 testing of foods suspected to contain select agents (such as Bacillus anthracis and Yersinia pestis) that may be associated with investigated incidents of bioterrorism.
--Cross-trained in molecular assays for detection of pandemic flu and other emerging pathogens such as Zika virus.
--Maintain a program of quality control and participates in a program of quality assurance; advises staff on appropriate methods and techniques. '
--Will be involved in Ending the Epidemic Laboratory testing to reduce HIV prevalence in New York State.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. For Assignment Level I (only physical, biological and environmental sciences and public health) A master's degree from an accredited college or university with a specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological or environmental science or in public health.
To be appointed to Assignment Level II and above, candidates must have:
1. A doctorate degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and one year of full-time experience in a responsible supervisory, administrative or research capacity in the appropriate field of specialization; or
2. A master's degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and three years of responsible full-time research experience in the appropriate field of specialization; or
3. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must have at least a master's degree in an appropriate field of specialization and at least two years of experience described in "2" above. Two years as a City Research Scientist Level I can be substituted for the experience required in "1" and "2" above.
Appointments to this position are subject to a minimum probationary period of one year.
It is preferred that the applicant possess or be eligible for a New York State Clinical Laboratory Technologist License as described in Part 58, Article 16 of the New York State Education Law effective September 1, 2006; possess clinical laboratory experience; knowledge of standard infection precaution procedures and clinical testing experience. Experience with BSL-3 regulations and environment. Strong verbal and written communications. Ability to work well within a management team environment.
**IMPORTANT NOTES TO ALL CANDIDATES:
Please note: If you are called for an interview you will be required to bring to your interview copies of original documentation, such as:
• A document that establishes identity for employment eligibility, such as: A Valid U.S. Passport, Permanent Resident Card/Green Card, or Driver’s license.
• Proof of Education according to the education requirements of the civil service title.
• Current Resume
• Proof of Address/NYC Residency dated within the last 60 days, such as: Recent Utility Bill (i.e. Telephone, Cable, Mobile Phone)
Additional documentation may be required to evaluate your qualification as outlined in this posting’s “Minimum Qualification Requirements” section. Examples of additional documentation may be, but not limited to: college transcript, experience verification or professional trade licenses.
If after your interview you are the selected candidate you will be contacted to schedule an on-boarding appointment. By the time of this appointment you will be asked to produce the originals of the above documents along with your original Social Security card.
The federal government provides student loan forgiveness through its Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF) to all qualifying public service employees. Working with the DOHMH qualifies you as a public service employee and you may be able to take advantage of this program while working full-time and meeting the program’s other requirements.
Please visit the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program site to view the eligibility requirements:
Apply online with a cover letter to https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/
In the Job ID search bar, enter: job ID number # 331185.
We appreciate the interest and thank all applicants who apply, but only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.