The IBM Toronto Lab, located in Markham Ontario, is one of the biggest R&D facilities in Canada. LinuxONE is IBM’s enterprise grade server build on IBM Z architecture; the backbone of the financial, retail, travel and insurance industries. IBM has been a leader in open-source since the late 1990’s by participating in hundreds of open-source projects and communities as well as setting the tone for open-source adoption in the enterprise.
The Linux on Z ecosystem team works closely with the open-source community to enable many open-source technologies on LinuxONE. Focus areas include modern programming languages, DevOps tools, databases, blockchain, analytics, AI and cloud infrastructure.
The team is currently looking to hire an Open Source Software Developer to help us advance open-source software on the platform. In this role, you will be responsible to port open-source code, upstream patches as well as performance tune a wide range of open-source software including databases, programming languages as well as the most modern cloud enablement software.
In addition, you will work closely with the open-source community and vendors to advance open-source software on Linux and showcase the advantage of using open-source on LinuxONE to clients and other stakeholders.
*This role will involve working with technology that is covered by embargo Export Regulations. If you are a Foreign National from any of the following embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria) on a work permit you are not eligible for employment in this position.*Required Technical and Professional Expertise
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
- at least 2-year experience developing in 3G programming languages (C/C++/JAVA)
- at least 1-year experience with databases (developing, optimizing, scaling)
- working knowledge of Linux
- working knowledge of computer architecture (x86, System Z or POWER instruction set)
- proven problem-solving skills
- Experience in developing technical solutions for clients
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to collaborate across teams and with clients
- Aptitude to learn and apply knowledge quickly
- Systems Z software and hardware background/experience
- Experience in Open Source community development processes and tools
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.