We are currently seeking a highly qualified Director of Federal Government Affairs to join our Government Affairs department in Washington, DC. The successful candidate will develop and implement legislative and political strategies and programs to support Altria companies' initiatives and protect or promote company interests in the U.S. Congress and federal regulatory agencies. Specific accountabilities include:
- Establishing, developing and maintaining effective working relationships with members of Congress and their staff, key executive branch and federal agency officials, trade associations and industry coalitions
- Maintaining comprehensive and up-to-date knowledge of Altria companies’ businesses in order to effectively identify, represent and advocate company positions and interests before Congress and federal regulatory bodies, and as a member of applicable trade associations and public policy organizations
- Researching, analyzing, and evaluating proposed and existing federal legislation and regulations of importance to Altria Group and it's family of companies, shareholders, employees, business partners and adult consumers
- Preparing and presenting information and recommendations to the VP of Federal Government Affairs and the SVP of Government Affairs. Communicating directly with company executives in providing timely updates on status and progress of legislative and regulatory issues.
- Preparing letters, talking points, issue summaries, and white papers related to relevant regulatory and legislative topics for legal review and dissemination to stakeholders
- Informing, engaging and negotiating with a broad and diverse group of internal and external stakeholders to positively impact legislative and regulatory outcomes
- Building and managing industry and legislative coalitions to assist in accomplishing key objectives
- Participating in the management of efforts and activities with external consultants
Altria Group is a FORTUNE 200 company that owns the premier tobacco companies in the United States including Philip Morris USA, U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company, John Middleton, Nu Mark and Nat Sherman. The companies’ brands include Marlboro, Copenhagen, Skoal, Black & Mild, MarkTen and VERVE. Altria also owns Ste. Michelle Wine Estates, one of the country’s top premium wine producers, and Philip Morris Capital Corporation, an investment company. Altria’s mission is to own and develop financially disciplined businesses that are leaders in responsibly providing adult tobacco and wine consumers with superior branded products. Altria Client Services’ role is to help Altria Group and its operating companies responsibly meet their business goals by providing the high quality services they require in a financially disciplined way. At Altria Client Services, we recognize that our people are the reason we achieve our business goals. We believe in developing the leadership potential of our employees by providing them with opportunities for training, development and advancement.
- A Bachelor's degree with a strong preference for advanced education in a related discipline (e.g., Law, Political Science)
- 7+ years of related experience, preferably gained on a Congressional staff, in a federal regulatory agency, a lobbying group, or in political organizations
- Extensive knowledge of the federal legislative process, ideally including regulatory processes
- Federal legislative or executive branch or federal government affairs experience.
- Familiarity with tobacco, tax, FDA and legal reform preferred.
- Very strong interpersonal, written and presentation skills successfully applied in advocacy and negotiation roles. Ability to build trust and promote confidence.
- Effective relationship building and collaboration skills
In addition to the opportunity to apply and develop your government affairs skills toward key business objectives, we offer an excellent compensation package including a competitive base salary, comprehensive health/vision/dental insurance, participation in our incentive compensation and deferred profit sharing programs as well as a relocation assistance package.
Each Altria company is an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other protected class.