We are currently seeking a Senior Associate Flavorist to join our Flavor Development department in Richmond, VA. The Senior Associate Flavorist will acquire knowledge of flavor chemistry and learn how to blend flavor compounds to create new and interesting flavor profiles for smokeless tobacco products. The position will work directly with senior members of staff to learn Altria’s business and how we operate. Specific accountabilities include:
- Participating in sensory evaluations of flavor ingredients, flavor systems, and learning how flavors are applied to Smokeless tobacco.
- Working with Senior and Principal Flavorists in the preparation and evaluation of new and reformulated flavors in existing and new smokeless tobacco products.
- Learning and maintaining the appropriate documentation for flavor systems, product and process changes to be compliant with Quality Systems, Records Management and Product Integrity Requirements.
- Participating with Senior and Principal Flavorists on discussions regarding support of our operating companies.
- Providing flavor support to other functional areas of the Company involving changes and/or improvements to flavor ingredients, and flavor systems.
- Providing support to Senior and Principal Flavorist to compile, document and manage information flow between Flavorists and Purchasing, Product Integrity and Product Development groups relating to sourcing and utilization of flavors.
- Working on the maintenance of flavor raw materials keeping all materials in the MST flavor laboratory within shelf life.
- Participating in flavor training presentations.
- Working towards becoming a Certified Flavor Chemist within the Society of Flavor Chemists.
Altria Group is a FORTUNE 200 company that owns the premier tobacco companies in the United States including Philip Morris USA, U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company, John Middleton, Nu Mark and Nat Sherman. The companies’ brands include Marlboro, Copenhagen, Skoal, Black & Mild, MarkTen and VERVE. Altria also owns Ste. Michelle Wine Estates, one of the country’s top premium wine producers, and Philip Morris Capital Corporation, an investment company. Altria’s mission is to own and develop financially disciplined businesses that are leaders in responsibly providing adult tobacco and wine consumers with superior branded products. Altria Client Services’ role is to help Altria Group and its operating companies responsibly meet their business goals by providing the high quality services they require in a financially disciplined way. At Altria Client Services we recognize that our people are the reason we achieve our business goals. We believe in developing the leadership potential of our employees by providing them with opportunities for training, development and advancement. In addition to the opportunity to apply and develop your flavor chemistry skills toward key business objectives, we offer an excellent compensation package including a competitive base salary, comprehensive health/vision/dental insurance, and participation in our deferred profit sharing programs as well as a relocation assistance package.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry/Biology or Food Science preferred
- Must be able to taste ,smell and distinguish flavor ingredients
- General knowledge of flavor ingredients, process aids, suppliers and flavor application equipment and technologies is preferred
- Should be able to communicate effectively as the position will represent Flavor Development on cross-functional projects
- This position requires a working knowledge of computer software.
- User of smokeless tobacco products desired.
- Position may include domestic and/or international travel, which includes the ability to drive a car and utilize air travel.
Each Altria company is an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other protected class.