Altria Client Services is currently seeking a Research Scientist Analytical Chemistry for our Analytical Sciences area.
The successful candidate will provide technical direction in planning and executing analytical method developments and validations for the analysis of constituents in tobacco and tobacco products using liquid and gas chromatography coupled with mass spectrometry or tandem mass spectrometry.
Specific accountabilities include:
- Utilizing specialized scientific knowledge in Analytical Chemistry and/or Organic Chemistry and related areas towards the development and implementation of novel analytical methods for existing and novel tobacco products in support of regulatory compliance and product development.
- Conceiving, heading, designing, and executing analytical method development and validation studies for the analysis of constituents in tobacco and tobacco products, including e-cigarettes
- Employing advanced analytical techniques, such as LC-MS/MS and GC-MS/MS to implement novel analytical methods in support of regulatory compliance, research and new product development
- Serving as a scientific and technical principal in his/her area of expertise, heading multiple tasks with minimal supervision
- Collaborating with scientists in other disciplines and external organizations by applying his/her chemistry knowledge to bring new technical insights
- Heading, directing and providing technical guidance and instructions to junior lab personnel to conduct research, problem solving investigations, and instrument troubleshooting
- Master’s degree with 5+ years of experience or Ph.D. degree with 3+ years of experience. Experience should be focused in Analytical Chemistry, Organic Analytical Chemistry or related discipline with expertise in liquid chromatography and/or gas chromatography coupled with mass spectrometry and/or tandem mass spectrometry for the quantitation of trace levels of compounds in complex matrices
- Proven track record of external engagement with relevant scientific organizations
- Demonstrated knowledge of analytical method development and validation
- Experience working in regulated environment or under a recognized quality system such as ISO 17025
- Experience with sample preparation and extraction techniques (LL, SPE, etc.) for the quantitative analysis of target compounds in complex matrices
- Proficiency with chromatography and mass spectrometry software such as MassLynx and Mass Hunter
- Excellent technical writing and communication skills as demonstrated by a track record of presentations and/or publications.
- Ability to actively engage and travel to industry meetings and conferences.
Altria Group is a FORTUNE 200 company that owns the premier tobacco companies in the United States including Philip Morris USA, U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company, John Middleton and Nu Mark. The companies’ brands include Marlboro, Copenhagen, Skoal, Black & Mild, MarkTen and VERVE. Altria also owns Ste. Michelle Wine Estates, one of the country’s top premium wine producers, and Philip Morris Capital Corporation, an investment company. Altria’s mission is to own and develop financially disciplined businesses that are leaders in responsibly providing adult tobacco and wine consumers with superior branded products.Altria Client Services’ role is to help Altria Group and its operating companies responsibly meet their business goals by providing the high quality services they require in a financially disciplined way. At Altria Client Services, we recognize that our people are the reason we achieve our business goals. We believe in developing the leadership potential of our employees by providing them with opportunities for training, development and advancement. In addition to the opportunity to apply and develop your skills toward key business objectives, we offer an excellent compensation package including a competitive base salary, comprehensive health/vision/dental insurance, participation in our incentive compensation and deferred profit sharing programs as well as a relocation assistance package.
Each Altria company is an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other protected class.