College Aide (Sophomore - Senior) - 337418
Civil Service Title: College Aide (Sophomore– Senior)
Title Code No: 10209
Salary: $13.50 - $15.30 per hour
Office Title: College Aide
Work Location: 421 East 26th St., NYC
Division/Work Unit: Office of Budget Administration
Number of Positions: 1
Hours/Shift: 17 – 35 hours per week
The New York City Office of Chief Medical Examiner (OCME) conducts independent investigations using advanced forensic science in the service of families, communities and the criminal justice system. Our work provides answers for those affected by sudden traumatic loss, and helps protect public health.
We exist to provide answers in support of families, victims and community during times of profound need.
The core values of the OCME are to put the mission of the agency first, to be truly dedicated and to have integrity in every
aspect of our professional life. Under supervision of the Director of Finance or designee, the selected student should have completed Accounting courses 1 and 2, be in his/her Sophomore or Junior years. This student will:
• Assist with the daily workload of the Audits & Accounts Unit.
• Assist with the review of invoices and identify discrepancies.
• Prepare receiving reports for payment submission.
• Assist with account reconciliation.
• Update accounting information.
• Track account/payment information.
• Answer telephones and respond to vendor inquiries.
• Other projects as assigned.
****The selected student should have completed Accounting courses 1 and 2. A student in their Sophomore or Junior year in college is preferred.****
Minimum Qual Requirements
For Assignment Level I:
Matriculation at an accredited college or graduate school. Employment is conditioned upon continuance as a student in a college or graduate school.
For Assignment Level II (Information Technology):
Matriculation at an accredited college or graduate school. Employment is conditioned upon continuance as a student in a college or graduate school with a specific course of study in information technology, computer science, management information systems, data processing, or closely related field, including or supplemented by 9 semester credits in an acceptable course of study.
For Assignment Level III (Information Technology Fellow):
Matriculation at an accredited college or graduate school. Employment is conditioned upon continuance as a student in a college or graduate school with a specific course of study in information technology, computer science, management information systems, data processing, or other area relevant to the information technology project(s) assigned, including or supplemented by 9 semester credits in an acceptable course of study. Appointments to this Assignment Level will be made by the Technology Steering Committee through the Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications.
Maximum tenure for all Assignment Levels in the title of College Aide is 6 years. No student shall be employed more than half-time in any week in which classes in which the student is enrolled are in session. Students may be employed full-time during their vacation periods.
• Accounting / Auditing Major.
• Familiarity with basic accounting procedures.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Ability to work independently.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Proficient in Excel and the ability to learn new software applications.
• Willing to adhere to the City of New York workplace policies.
• Ability to handle sensitive information confidentially.
1. The selected candidate will be required to submit a DNA sample by swabbing.
2. In case of an emergency, your position may be designated as essential staff.
TO APPLY, PLEASE SUBMIT RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO nyc.gov/careers.
We appreciate the interest and thank all applicants who apply. Please note that only candidates selected for interview will be contacted for this position. No phone calls or emails please.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.