Education, Licensures and Certifications:
• High School graduate or equivalent required.
• Certified Professional Coder - CPC required.
• Prior work experience in the healthcare field specifically related to coding and/or medical billing and compliance is required.
• Demonstrated proficiency in medical coding, with active E/M coding experience required.
• Minimum of 1-3 years coding and or advanced billing/collections experience with emphasis on Medicare and Medi-Cal requirements required.
Skills and Knowledge:
• Demonstrated knowledge of coding and compliance standards is required. Good working knowledge of ICD/CPT4/HCPCS coding, medical claims billing and procedures is required. Familiarity of state and federal laws, professional standards, and accreditation standards is necessary. Prior usage/knowledge of Epic is desired.
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal and oral communication skills are required. Tact and diplomacy with patients, providers and staff for sensitive matters, strong ability to multi-task, and ability to maintain organized records so that the documentation trail is transparent to others as required. Knowledge of computers: Excel and Word proficiency, and skill in the operation of other office equipment. Employee must be able to work independently as well as a part of a team and the ability to access State and Federal websites for coding, billing and reimbursement information.