Case Monitor, Bureau of Mental Health/Office of Assisted Outpatient Treatment - 312426
The Bureau of Mental Health is responsible for mental health service delivery and planning for New York City residents with mental health needs. Through contracting directly with NYC service providers, the Bureau is responsible for procuring and overseeing over 700 treatment, rehabilitation, housing, case management, advocacy, and Assisted Outpatient Treatment programs comprising over $200 million. Bureau staff is responsible for managing the development, implementation, and oversight of ongoing and new contracted mental health programs. Through these contracts and through its policy, planning and advocacy work, the Bureau seeks to facilitate access and quality care and recovery for all New York City residents.
The Office of Assisted Outpatient Treatment (AOT) is responsible for the management and oversight of the Assisted Outpatient Treatment Program in New York City. The New York State Legislature passed Kendra’s law as an amendment to the Mental Hygiene Law to allow for outpatient civil commitment of individuals with histories of serious mental illness, difficulty engaging in rehabilitation, and who present high risk to themselves or the community. The program enables these individuals to live safely in the community, avoid repeated inpatient hospitalizations, and ensure they have access to comprehensive outpatient services.
Working closely with mental health providers and staff from Assisted Outpatient Treatment, you will:
- Collect and review clinical material to determine if a consumer referred to the AOT program meets criteria as presented in statute.
- Assist in the preparation of treatment plans and legal documents required for the pursuit of a court order.
- Collaborate and interface with mental health providers and families to monitor engagement as well as consumers adherence with treatment mandated by the court.
- Assess the quality and appropriateness of care planned and provided.
- Participate in case conferences to discuss consumer eligibility for AOT as well as progress under the court order.
- Manage untoward events through the monitoring of services and provision of support to Intensive Case Mangers, Assertive Community Treatment teams, and other mental health providers.
- Participate in Quality Assurance reviews and special projects.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A Master's Degree in Social Work from an accredited school of social work.
For those who receive certification before September 1, 2004: A valid Certified Social Worker (CSW) certificate issued by the New York State Department of Education is required.
For those who receive certification after September 1, 2004: A valid Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) or Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) must be obtained within one year of the date of appointment. Employees who fail to obtain their LCSW or LMSW within one year after appointment will automatically have their probationary periods extended for no more than six months. Failure to obtain the LCSW or LMSW by the end of 18 months of service will result in dismissal.
--Extensive, knowledge of community mental health resources
--Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; ability to interface with service providers from all sectors of the service system; and strong organizational skills.
**IMPORTANT NOTES TO ALL CANDIDATES:
Please note: If you are called for an interview you will be required to bring to your interview copies of original documentation, such as:
• A document that establishes identity for employment eligibility, such as: A Valid U.S. Passport, Permanent Resident Card/Green Card, or Driver’s license.
• Proof of Education according to the education requirements of the civil service title.
• Current Resume
• Proof of Address/NYC Residency dated within the last 60 days, such as: Recent Utility Bill (i.e. Telephone, Cable, Mobile Phone)
Additional documentation may be required to evaluate your qualification as outlined in this posting’s “Minimum Qualification Requirements” section. Examples of additional documentation may be, but not limited to: college transcript, experience verification or professional trade licenses.
If after your interview you are the selected candidate you will be contacted to schedule an on-boarding appointment. By the time of this appointment you will be asked to produce the originals of the above documents along with your original Social Security card.
The federal government provides student loan forgiveness through its Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF) to all qualifying public service employees. Working with the DOHMH qualifies you as a public service employee and you may be able to take advantage of this program while working full-time and meeting the program’s other requirements.
Please visit the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program site to view the eligibility requirements:
Apply online with a cover letter to https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/
In the Job ID search bar, enter: job ID number # 312426.
We appreciate the interest and thank all applicants who apply, but only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
The NYC Health Department is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and culturally responsive workforce. We strongly encourage people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender and gender non-conforming persons to apply.
All applicants will be considered without regard to actual or perceived race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, marital or parental status, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, age, prior record of arrest; or any other basis prohibited by law.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.