The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) is seeking an Administrative Assistant (AA) II to provide coordination and completion of significant activities for the European Space Agency (ESA) team at STScI. The AA is expected to perform a wide range of administrative support functions and technical duties ensuring timely and accurate completion of assigned tasks. The ESA Team is currently supported by one AAII. The expectation is to hire a second AA to develop a similar level of expertise and knowledge with both ESA and STScI systems to successfully support the entire ESA team at STScI (approximately 25 people) This position will report to ESA Management at STScI
This position requires a conscientious dedication to a Monday through Friday work week during normal working hours and flexibility for exceptional cases of extra time during weekends, and occasionally international travel (mostly to Europe), to support meetings and conferences.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Day-to-day support to ESA and ESA/AURA personnel regarding business-related travel itineraries, leave, and training, collaborating with ESA and STScI travel office, mission desk and ESA and STScI HR personnel.
- Assist new ESA personnel with integration in the ESA system (badges requests, account setup, insurance cards, medical claims) and in the STScI environment (badges, telephone, accounts, office assignment).
- Assist new ESA/AURA personnel with integration at STScI.
- Support the planning, organization, and execution of meetings, workshops and conferences
- Maintain database information on ESA Personnel in Baltimore and GSFC, work with ESA Washington Office regarding all procedural aspects associated with ESA staff presence in the USA (visa, driver license renewal, relocation, etc.)
- Maintain databases of ESA properties at STScI. Assist management in tracking and replacement of ESA equipment and software licenses.
- Support management in the procurement of material and services from request to delivery in both the ESA and STScI systems.
- Support management in the implementation of agreed financial practices and in the preparation of monthly reports on local payments.
- Support the development and maintenance of ESA Web pages in the ESA portal and of ESA document management system LIVELINK.
- Oversee logistics for European Scientist visiting STScI in support of Scientific Mission operations (Time Allocation Committee, User committee, etc)
- Collaborate with ESA Mission desk, ESA and STScI Travel office in support to travel of ESA personnel and/or visitors (TAC panelist, etc)
- Provide logistics support such as meeting organization, room bookings, hotels and transportation for ESA visitors
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent skills in the areas of professional & effective customer service; excellent verbal & written communication;
- Excellent problem-solving skills. Shown ability to develop partnerships and work effectively with a diverse suite of employees at different levels in the organization and across multiple teams; ability to thrive in a dynamic, multi-cultural environment
- Ability to effectively handle multiple high-priority demands, working with supervisor to prioritize tasks and projects.
- Initiative and independent discernment.
- Confirmed ability to interpret and follow established policies and procedures, with a high degree of accuracy and reliability.
- Shown ability to effectively work as part of a team as well as to work independently.
- Strong skills in the areas of attention to detail, time management, and organization.
- Enthusiasm for new and meaningful activities, requiring basic problem solving and the ability to quickly learn and implement new skills and/or processes.
- Strong computer experience and proficiency with a range of computer-based office tools and major software packages including the Microsoft Office suite.
- Familiarity with communication tools (BlueJeans, Skype, WebEx) and meeting scheduling tools (Outlook, I cal, Doodle)
- Dedication to maintain confidentiality for all ESA and STScI sensitive and restricted access matters.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years of prior experience in an administrative support role or equivalent. Three or more years of training with or experience using word processing, data entry, database software, and spreadsheets
- Experience in a scientific or technical environment a plus.
TO APPLY: You are requested to complete an online application through our website at www.stsci.edu/opportunities
Applications received by March 1, 2019 will receive full consideration.
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers, do not discriminate based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements that are included for protection and to assist us in our record keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.
STScI sees the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in our desire to create a first-rate scientific community. We reflect that deep commitment in strongly encouraging women, minorities, veterans and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities.
Veterans, disabled individuals or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at email@example.com. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V Voted to the Baltimore Magazine Hall of Fame in 2015 – Top 25 Places to Work in Baltimore